Saturday, February 8, 2014

A canvas... and another... and another... and another.

Earlier last year some friends and I began exchanging canvases... did a couple... switched to doing some other things... and decided we needed to finish up with the canvases at the end of the year.  For a reminder the first two I did and received can be found in THIS post and in THIS post.  It began as 4 x 4 canvases and quickly changed to 'you can do whatever size you want'.  I totally loved doing this swap and the canvases I received were all totally fab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last two canvases I made are both 8" x 8".  This first one went to Trent.  I began by gluing down rows of Tim Holtz tissue tape, every row a different tape.  Then I added some grunge paste from PaperArtsy, both through a stencil and also some random areas just smeared on and tapped with the pallet knife to give texture.  This was the first time I'd ever used a paste that gets hard (I've always used embossing paste or light modeling/molding paste) and it's very cool stuff.  After it dried, I sanded it a bit to get off any really rough spots.  Next came paint, stamping, stenciling, and Viva Inka Gold.  The leaves and flower are die cuts (Tim Holtz dies) and there is painting, inking, stamping, and embossing.  The frame is die cut with Tim dies.  The top layer is watercolor paper and embossing paste through a stencil.  Then there are a couple layers of grungeboard to make it thicker.  It's all painted black and then Inka Gold used for highlights.  The framed piece (attached to the back of the frame) has ink, paint and stamping.  The butterflies are a Tim Holtz stamp.  The quote is a Wendy Vecchi stamp as are many of the other stamps used on the canvas, leaves and flower.   I stamped the butterflies and additional time on scrap and cut some out to add to the canvas.  







This next canvas went to Michael.  I glued a layer of very wrinkled white tissue paper to the canvas, let it dry, and added paint.  I thought about doing more to the background but I loved it just the way it was!!!   I then stenciled the rays (Tim Holtz stencil) with white embossing paste (Wendy Vecchi) and let it dry.  I added paint to the top of the embossing and used a Posca pen to extend the rays to the edge of the canvas.  The words on the rays are Tim Holtz rub-ons.  The quote is a Tim Holtz stamp.  The butterfly is Tim die cut from grunge.  The bottom pieces are painted.  I added the colors of paint and while it was still wet brushed through with a Catalyst #15 B-05 which gave the fabulous marbled look.  The top layer is just painted black.  Along the bottom I used a Wendy Vecchi stamp both in green and in black.  The gold highlights are Viva Inka Gold.  









The next canvas is the one I received from Nancy.  It is 4" x 4" and I love it!!!  





And this next one is from Lori.  It's 8" x 10" and Fabulous!!!!


5 comments:

Kathy Eddy said...

They are all gorgeous! What a great swap!

Candy C said...

Wanda...these are gorgeous! I love canvases. I especially love your first one with all if the tissue tape, molding paste , die cuts, blended colors, random stamping, etcetera . All of that work really paid off ! It is really lovely.

McStamper said...

Wanda, your canvases are beautiful. Thanks for sharing the info.

Linda Ward said...

Awesome !!!! You were the one to inspire me to try a canvas and I love doing them now.

Lori said...

Fab work as always Wanda! Love your canvases!